- mhb from nj
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt(optional)
- dash or more white pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut crosswise in 1 1/2 inch pieces(4 cups) and cooked
- 4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- Melt 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine.
- Blend in salt, pepper and flour.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook, stirring constantly till mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Arrange half the cooked asparagus and all the hard boiled egg slices in bottom of 8 by 8 by 2 inch baking dish.
- Add half the white sauce.
- Top with remaining asparagus and sauce.
- Toss crumbs with melted butter or margarine.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 to 35 minutes or till heated through.
- Adapted from BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS ENCYCLOPEDIA of COOKING.