Serves/Makes:6 pints or more|
- 8 cups (1900 ml) yellow squash
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped bell peppers
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onion
- 2 oz (56 grm). chopped pimento
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) white vinegar
- 3 cups (700 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) celery seed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mustard seed
- Soak squash, peppers and onion in 2/3 c, salt amd 3 quarts (2850 ml) water for 1 hour, covered with ice.
- Make syrup by bringing to a boil the vinegar and sugar.
- Drain vegetables; add syrup, celery seed and mustard seed.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Put in jars and allow to seal.
- My mother made this and we ate it with peas or butter beans or red beans and rice. It is delicious.