Bavarian Sauerkraut Salad
- Linda Weissert
- 2 c sugar
- 1/2 c vinegar
- 2 16-ounce cans sauerkraut, Bavarian style, drained well (Bavarian sauerkraut contains caraway seeds)
- 1-1/2 c celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 c green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 c pimiento, chopped finely
- Mix all ingredients and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors well.
- This is very good as a salad or as a relish for german-style sausages on buns.
I make this for Oktoberfest each year. We grill bratwurst, weisswurst, knockwurst and whatever other authentic German sausages we can find. We fire up the grill and serve them with this sauerkraut salad, a selection of interesting mustards,good German Potato Salad, homemade applesauce and, of course, lots of German beers. We always top of the festivities with a yummy German Apple Cake (or kuchen as the Deutsch say). Hope your crowd enjoys this as much as ours!