- A hearty filling soup - full of good stuff!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 8 cups (1900 ml) chicken broth
- 16 oz (448 grm). corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small zucchini or summer squash, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). medium sized (peeled and deveined) frozen or fresh shrimp
- 1 cup (225 ml) light cream
- Heat butter and olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add onion and stir, heat until onion begins to brown.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add chicken broth and corn.
- Heat and stir until mixture begins to boil.
- **** (see below)
- Add pepper and zucchini/squash, simmer until veggies are soft.
- Add shrimp and cream along with a pinch of netmeg.
- Simmer five minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- At the break in preparation (****) you have the option of cooling your soup base and pureeing the mixture to make a thicker soup before adding the rest of the ingredients. I like it without the pureeing step, it is much quicker (no need to wait for soup to cool) and I like the chunks of corn too.
Serve this great soup with a salad and some nice crusty bread!