- Delicious coconut brownies with fudge.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts, pecans or walmonds
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) toasted coconut
- Special aids:
- candy thermometer
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Coarsley chop chocolate.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, combine flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, add eggs, cocoa and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; mix to combine.
- Stir nuts and choppped chocolate into batter.
- Spread batter in prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely
- In a small saucepan, combine cream and brown sugar.
- Bring to boil and cook until mixture registers 242 degrees (125 C.) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Whisk in butter until fluffy.
- Spread topping over brownies.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Attention to detail:
To make diamond shapes, first make 4 vertical cuts in broenies, then make diagnol cuts, about 1 1/4 inches apart.
To toast coconut, spread on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degrees oven for 7-10 minutes. Turn the coconur frequently until golden brown.