- Fry Bread
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) unbleached flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- oil for deep fat frying
- To make the chalupa shell, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening and add milk.
- Shape dough into a long cylinder and divide equally into 6 balls.
- Pat each ball out into a circle 5 inches in diameter (make the circles thinner in the middle so there will be a depression to hold the toppings).
- Fry each disc in hot oil until puffed and golden on both sides (turn once).
- Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Pile your choice of ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, peppers, and cheese.
- Accompany, if desired, with salsa, sliced black olives, sour cream, or guacamole.
- This is a basic Indian Fry Bread. You can do basically the same thing with frozen bread dough. Indian Tacos.