- old recipe
- from vanilla wafer box
Serves/Makes:8 (about 3/4 cup servings)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). all-purpose flour
- dash of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla extract
- vanilla wafers
- 5 to 6 medium size flly ripe bananas,sliced
- Combine 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Mix in 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- Spread small amount on bottom of 1 1/2-quart casserole; cover with layer of vanilla wafers, top with layer of sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas, and custard to make 3 layers of each ending with custard.
- Beat remaining 3 egg whites stiff, but not dry; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Pile on top of pudding covering entire surface.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree (225 C.) oven for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Serve warm or chilled.