The Original Worcestershire Sauce
- You'll never buy store bought again.
- Kelly Dejong
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) kidney beans (15 oz (420 grm). can)
- 6 oz (168 grm). soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic powder
- 2 sardines
- 6 quarts (5675 ml) apples, peeled sliced and covered with brown vinegar (or 7 qts. apples)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) ground allspice
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) powdered coffee or 3 cups (700 ml) boiled down coffee
- 2 tsp (10 ml) red ground pepper
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) corn syrup
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- First 4 ingredients:
- Drain kidney beans and pass through mill.
- Place in one gallon jar.
- Add soy sauce and garlic powder.
- Wash sardines off with vinegar and mash.
- Add to kidney bean mixture.
- Apple preparation:
- In cooking pot, place peeled and sliced apples.
- Cover with brown vinegar.
- Add next four spices and coffee.
- Bring to boil, boil slowly for 2 hours.
- As the water in the vinegar evaporates add 1/2 cup (125 ml) vinegar and 1/2 cup (125 ml) water.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and pass through food mill.
- Add to gallon jar.
- Finally, add last five ingredients to gallon jar and fill jar to 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) with vinegar.
- Shake well, let stand 24 hours, ready to use. ENJOY!
- Fill 1-2 cup plastic containers add a bow or make individual drawstring bags and give away at Christmas.