Upside-Down Chocolate Cake
- Best Recipes by Ceil Dyer
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). light corn syrup
- 1 20 oz (560 grm). can sliced peaches
- marachino cherries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) unsifted flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) Hersheys cocoa
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) buttermilk or sour milk
- whipped cream
- Combine 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and pour into bottom of a 12 cups (2825 ml) bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan.
- Arrange sliced peaches and cherries in decorative design.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Cream 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt: add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour batter evenly over fruit and nuts in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 40 to 45 minutes for bundt pan, 50 to 55 for tube pan or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately invert onto serving dish, leave pan over cake a few minutes.
- Good served with whipped cream.