- William Bohannon
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). ripe red plums, halved and pitted
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Place in large pot.
- Simmer on low until the pulp disentegrates 30 min.
- Skim foam, if desired.
- Strain, if desired.
- Put hot jelly into jars and affix lids (hot water bath).
- Let rest undisturbed for several days.
- They used to use a large copper pot for this but you can just add the lemon or some creme of tartar.
The natural pectin is found in the skins of fruit.
To make the natural jellies that you have been searching for you will need to cook the skins in with the jelly.
The old mint jelly is made from apples with lots of mint added.
Also you must have the correct amounts of fruit to sugar or it will not set.
The ratio varies with different fruits.