Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups (475 ml) boiling water
- 1 large tart green apple (Granny Smith)
- 3 (10 oz (280 grm).) cans beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) heavy cream
- salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) paprika
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) turmeric
- 1/2 red apple, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- Boil the onion in water over high heat for 2 minutes; discard water.
- In a food processor or with hand grater, grate the onion and green apple.
- Place broth, apple and onion in pot over medium heat.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Puree in a blender or food processor, 2 cups (475 ml) at a time, or press through a sieve.
- Return to the kettle and over low heat, stir in the cream and seasonings.
- Chill well if serving as a chilled soup, or serve hot.
- Just before serving, chop the red apple and toss with lemon juice to keep from discoloring.
- Garnish each bowl with chopped apple.