- Bisque of Snow Crab and vegetables
- William Bohannon
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced onion
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced celery
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced peeled carrot
- 2 cups (475 ml) peeled 1/4" diced Idaho Potato
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh roasted red bell pepper or jar pimento
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh bacon bits, fat reserved
- 1 lb (.5 kg). frozen Snow crab premium leg meats with body meat
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Madiera wine
- 1/2 Cup (125 ml) Butter or olive oil
- 1 quart (950 ml) half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar snap peas in the pod strings removed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Thaw crab meat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Boil potato in salted water until tender about 12 min.
- Meanwhile saute carrots, onions, celery in butter (or bacon fat/olive oil) until softened.
- Place cooked mirepoix in stock pot and add water to just cover.
- Boil for 10 min. and add half and half, reduce to lowest heat and steep.
- Remove potato from heat and let stand in the cooking liquid.
- Place crab meat, peas, roasted peppers in separate piles on microwave safe plate.
- Microwave solids for 2 min. to heat through.
- Strain cream mixture, add wine and return to simmer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In each serving bowl place some crab meat, strained potato, bacon, and vegetable and pinch fresh herbs.
- Spoon a generous amount of hot seasoned cream to fill each bowl.
- If any juices from the crab meat or vegetables can be gathered pour them into the cream.
Grated cheese is also good for a garnish.