Serves/Makes:4 (1/2 pint jars)
- 5-1/2 cups (1300 ml) chopped, cored and husked tomatillos (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped onion
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped green chilies
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced cilantro
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) red pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) vinegar, 5% acidity
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Carefully ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rim clean.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met fingertip tight.
- Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.
This is a very good recipe,I got from a friend who I think
got it from Bernardin preserving book or from their web site.
Editors note: It you scratch your nose with the pepper juice on your hands, that will burn too. Be careful!