Carrot Soup with Coriander
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). chopped garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ground coriander
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) half and half or milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). dry sherry
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- In large sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- When hot, add onion and saute while stirring occasionally, until translucent - five to six minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute while stirring until beginning to change color, twenty to thirty seconds.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and coriander and saute, stirring a little, for about two to three minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, sugar and salt and bring to simmer over medium heat, then lower heat, cover partially and continue simmering until vegetables are soft - about twenty to thirty minutes.
- When cooked and soft, puree soup in batches in blender or processor until all is smooth or to the consistency desired.
- Return to saucepan and add half and half or milk and pepper to taste.
- Place over medium heat and heat almost to boil but not boiling. taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Just before serving, stir in sherry to taste.
- to serve: ladle warm soup into bowls and top each with 1 to 2 spoonful of sour cream and a generous sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
- Always in demand - so exquisite and spectaculor for entertaining guests at dinner or any meal and any occasion. a winner among recipes and always a favorite!