- Great with chips or as a condiment for meat, chicken or fish.
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) minced seeded jalapeno chiles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill(Can be made up to 4 hours ahead).
- This is the cover recipe from the Bon Appetit magazine barbecue issue, July 2000.
It is shown with a chili-rubbed rib-eye steak. A guest brought it to our house with tortilla chips and we've been using the recipe all summer. I think the fresh lime juice and minced garlic add the real zip to it.
I have used any variety of tomato that is ripe in the garden without seeding and it always turns out great. A real quicky by chopping the tomato and onion in the food processor but I always mince the chiles by hand so nobody gets a major-sized chunk!
It keeps for several days in the refrigerator.