- A favorite from the '70s and it can be made ahead!
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, shredded or torn
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. (10 oz (280 grm).) frozen green peas
- 2 cups (475 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 6 oz (168 grm). sharp chedder cheese, grated
- 8 bacon strips, fried, drained and crumbled
- Place lettuce in salad bowl.
- Add in layers green pepper, celery, and onion.
- Top with green peas.
- Spread mayonnaise over the peas.
- Sprinkle sugar on the mayonnaise (this becomes the dressing).
- Top with chedder cheese and bacon.
- DO NOT TOSS.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- May be tossed before serving.
- This particular recipe says to cook, drain and cool the peas before adding them.
Personally, I prefer the crispness the uncooked peas add to the salad.
This salad is also known as 24 Hour Salad.