Serves/Makes:10 or more slices
- 1 pkg. (8 oz (224 grm).) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 loaf (16 oz (448 grm).) french bread, unsliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- 1 jar (10 oz (280 grm).) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) orange juice
- Beat together cream cheese and 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla until fluffy.
- Stir in walnuts and set aside.
- Cut bread into 10 to 12 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Cut a pocket in the top of each.
- Fill each one with one and a half tbsp of the cheese mixture.
- Beat together the eggs, whipping cream and the remaining 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla.
- Using tongs, dip the filled bread slices into egg mixture, being careful not to squeeze out the filling.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle til both sides are golden brown.
- To keep cooked slices hot for serving, place them on a baking sheet in a warm oven.
- Heat together the preserves and juice.
- To serve, drizzle the apricot mixture over hot French toast.