Chilled Pineapple Cheesecake
- 2-1/3 cups (550 ml) fine vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) crushed pineapple
- 2 envelopes (2 tbsp) plus 1 tsp (5 ml) unflavored gelatin
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten (save egg whites)
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 12 oz (336 grm). cartons (3 cups) small curd cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (475 ml) heavy cream, whipped
- 4 egg whites, stiff beaten
- Mix crumbs and butter.
- Press onto bottom and sides of buttered 9 inch springform pan.
- Drain pineapple reserving syrup.
- Soften gelatin in 1/2 cup (125 ml) pineapple syrup.
- In double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon peel, salt and 2 tbsp (30 ml) pineapple syrup.
- Cook and stir over hot, not boiling water 5 to 8 minutes or until like smooth stirred custard (mixture will seem to get thin as it cooks).
- Remove from heat.
- Add softened gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Add crushed pineapple, cottage cheese and vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream, then egg whites.
- Pour into crumb-lined pan.
- Chill about 5 hours or until firm.
- Loosen sides of cheesecake from pan with spatula before removing ring.
- This recipe came from the Better Homes and Gardens Dessert Cook Book, Meridith Publishing Co. 1960.