- Great for Christmas snacks
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cocoa
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). baking powder
- level 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cloves
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml). allspice
- 2 cups (475 ml) mincemeat
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- Mix sugar, shortening salt and eggs in a bowl.
- Dissolve soda in water.
- Mix the spices and baking powder with the flour and sift.
- Add flour mixture to the wet batter - this should be stiff enough to hold up a spoon in the middle of the batter.
- Pour into cupcake pan or loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until done at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- This recipe belonged to my grandmother which would make it well over 100 years old.
We have enjoyed it and the people who I have passed it onto thoroughly love it.