Avocado Soup with Sour Cream
- Vicky Bryant
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 chipolte pepper in adobo, chopped
- salt to taste
- 4 ripe Haas avocados, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 quart (950 ml) vegetable stock, plus more if too thick (you can also use chicken stock if you prefer, or 1/2 and 1/2)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
- scallions for garnish, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onions, garlic, chipolte pepper and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and avocados and stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until avocados are soft.
- Add sour cream and simmer for a minute or two longer.
- emove from heat and puree in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- Add more stock if too thick.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and top with scallions.