- Prickly Pear
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) melted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) + 2 tsp (10 ml) poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) half and half
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Line muffin pan with paper baking cups.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt.
- In a second bowl blend well the eggs, melted butter, 1 T poppyseeds, half and half, milk, and lemon juice.
- Stir liquid mixture into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack until cool enough to handle then remove from pan.
- Muffins are a favorite of mine because they are quick and can be made fresh for breakfast on a cold morning.