Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). soft butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cubed cranberry jelly
- Sift flour, measure, resift 3 times with baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter, add sugar creaming thoroughly.
- Add egg yolk and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately in 3 portions, beginning and ending with flour and beating well after each.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg white.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 400 degree (200 C.) oven for 5 minutes, then sprinkle cranberry cubes over top of batter and continue baking another 15 to 20 min. or until golden brown.
- Serve warm like coffee cake or muffins with butter.