- An easy childhood favorite.
- 1-1/2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cocoa
- 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked oats
- powdered sugar
- Put butter in bowl and let stand until soft; beat well.
- Beat in sugar.
- Mix in water, vanilla and cocoa.
- Stir in oats.
- Store overnight in refrigerator.
- Shape into 36 balls (on wax paper).
- Roll in powdered sugar.
- Keep cookies in refrigerator.
- This recipe comes from Mary Alden's Cook Book for Children published by Wonder Books in 1955.
As a child I thought this was gourmet cooking (if I'd known the word gourmet). Making them now, I still love them but they bring to mind my kids love of raw cookie dough.
A very easy recipe. I just wish I could share the fun illustrations that go with the recipe. For cookbook collectors, this one is great!