- 30 or more ripe tomatoes (depending on size), chopped
- 5 onions, chopped
- 8 green bell peppers, chopped
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) salt
- 5 cups (1175 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cloves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- Combine tomatoes, onions and bell peppers in a saucepan.
- Att brown sugar, salt and vinegar.
- Heat on low for about 2 hours stirring frequently.
- Add spices and cook for another 2 hours stirring so as not to burn.
- Put sauce into freezer containers or glass jars.
- Process in hot water bath, if using jars.
- Vary quantities of ingredients to your taste. Chop vegetables in food processor to save time. Store in freezer for up to 6 months.