- Recipes on Parade, Military Officers Wives Favorites,1968
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dry mustard
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 head cabbage (3 to 4 pounds), shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) celery seed
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) crushed pineapple
- Mix flour, salt, 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar and mustard in top of double boiler.
- Add small amount of milk, stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add remaining milk, eggs yolks, vinegar and butter.
- Place over hot water and cook, stirring constnatly for 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Mix cabbage, carrot, celery seed, pepper, pineapple and remaining sugar; toss lightly.
- Pour dressing over slaw; mix.