Orange Cranberry Cornmeal Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup (225 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) light brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sifted flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried cranberries or "craisins", chopped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- powdered or icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Lightly grease two large baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg yolks and orange zest.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter, 1/2 cup (125 ml) at a time, mixing thorougly.
- Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Knead the mixture to smooth the dough.
- If the dough is sticky add a little more flour until it is easier to work.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut our the cookies using about a 2 inch cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies 1 inch apart on the baking sheets.
- Brush each cookie with beaten egg white and dust with powdered sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookies are golden and slightly puffy around the edges.
- Cool the cookies for 2 to 3 minutes but transfer with spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- As an alternative to brushing with egg white and dusting with powdered sugar, prepare a glaze of 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar and 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 T. orange juice.
When cookies have cooled brush or dip in glaze and set to dry on waxed paper.
Let glaze set before storing in airtight container.