- Lebanese Salad
- B Wyatt
- 1 lb (.5 kg). #1 (very fine) bulgar wheat (available at Middle Eastern grocers)
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). crushed mint leaves (optional)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped very fine (include some stems)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped very fine (include some green stems)
- 2 large very ripe red tomatos, chopped very fine
- Pour bulgar wheat into large bowl, cover with water and let set 1 hour.
- Line collandar with clean cloth, pour in bulgar wheat, and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Return bulgar wheat to large bowl.
- Chop tomatoes, onions and parsley; mix well with bulgar wheat.
- Add lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and mint; mix well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- If too much liquid, skim off.
- Salad should not be "soupy".
- Add more salt, pepper, cinnamon and mint to individual taste.
- My mother got this recipe from a Lebanese lady who ran a restaurant in our hometown many years ago. Over the years it has become a tradition to prepare this salad during the holidays. Enjoy!