- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) rum (can double this amount)
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). semi-sweet or sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) whipping cream
- 2 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 2 cups (475 ml) whipped cream
- Cook sugar and rum over very low heat until dissolved but not colored brown.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- When chocolate is melted stir in 2 tbsp (30 ml) whipping cream.
- Add sugar and rum mixture and stir until smooth.
- When the mixture is cool but not chilled, fold in egg whites.
- Fold the combination very gently into 2 cups (475 ml) whipped cream.
- Chill in shervet glasses at least 2 hours before serving.
- The recipe is from the 1964 Joy of Cooking by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker.
Published by The Bobbs Merrill Co., Inc.