Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole
- 1 bag (26 oz (728 grm).) frozen country style hash browns
- 2 cups (475 ml) Colby cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) onion, minced
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, melted
- dash of garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- Combine the frozen hash browns, cheese and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the milk, beef broth, half of the melted butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Mix until well blended, then pour the mixture over the hash browns and mix well.
- Heat the remaining butter in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, spoon in the hash brown mixture.
- Cook the hash browns stirring occasionally, until hot and all the cheese is melted (about 7 minutes).
- Put the skillet in the oven at 450 degrees (225 C.) and bake for 45 to 60 min. or until the surface of the hash browns are dark brown.
- This is Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole from St. Ann's Sampler cookbook.