Chourico, Peppers and Onions
- Spicy Portuguese Sausage Sandwiches
Serves/Makes:1-1/2 - 2 dozen sandwiches
- 3 pounds Portuguese chourico (or Spanish chorizo)
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water (or more)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh hot crushed red pepper (or to your taste)
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 2 large green peppers, sliced
- Remove casing from sausage and chop into bite size pieces, set aside.
- In a large kettle over moderate heat add half of one onion, chopped and garlic and saute in a little olive oil.
- Add tomato paste, cinnamon and fresh crushed red pepper and continue to saute and mix into a paste.
- Add sausage and saute until cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup (125 ml) more or less of water (depending on how saucy you want sandwich filling)
- Slice remaining onions and green peppers.
- Top sausage mixture in kettle with onions and peppers and continue cooking until slightly limp.
- Mix well and serve hot in Portuguese rolls or other crusty meaty rolls.
- Chourico has alot of flavor on it's own and usually comes in mild to hot, pick according to your taste. This is a great spicy sandwich filling for a casual gathering.