Authentic Hungarian Goulash
- This is the original and the real thing, directly from Hungary
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef shanks, or other stew meat, cubed
- 1 big onion, cubed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lard
- 1 lb (.5 kg). carrot, sliced thick
- 1 lb (.5 kg). potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups (1425 ml) water
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground paprika (yes, this much)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) caraway
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) salt
- Saute onion in hot lard until transparent, be careful, don't burn it.
- Add meat, brown the surface while stirring.
- Add paprika, and stir vigorously until mixed with meat.
- Add 6 cups (1425 ml) of water, and everything else except the carrots and potatoes.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, or until beef is almost tender.
- Add potatoes and carrot and simmer 15 more minutes.
- Add more salt to taste if necessary, and/or replace evaporated water.
- Vegetable shortening can be used instead of lard.