Gingerbread Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup (225 ml) molasses
- 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream
- 4 cups (950 ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) allspice
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped pecans, Optional
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 3oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 4-3/4 cups (1125 ml) powdered sugar, sifted
- Cream the shortening with the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the molasses and sour cream.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and add to the sour cream mixture.
- Stir until just moistened and no flour streaks remain.
- Spoon into muffin tins that have been coated with a non-stick spray filling each cup 1/2 full.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 12 to 15 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 cups (475 ml) powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add another 2 1/2 to 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) of powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- This frosts the tops of 24 muffins or top and sides of an 8" or 9" two layer cake.
- After frosting, cover and store in refrigerator.
- If muffins are to be frosted, cool first.