- Classic Betty Crocker Recipe
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sweet potatoes or yams (1 lb (.5 kg). equals about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dairy sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) mace
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) miniature marshmallows or cut-up large marshmallows
- If using fresh sweet potatoes,add to boiling water and cook, covered, until fork tenderabout 30 to 35 minutes.
- Drain; slip out of skins and mash.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In mixer bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sour cream, egg yolk, salt and mace.
- Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour mixture into buttered 1-quart casserole; top with marshmallows.
- Bake 30 minutes or until marshmallows are puffed and golden brown.
- This is a nice side to the turkey or ham at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
The sour cream cuts the sweetness of the standard candied yams or sweet potatoes for a sweet and savory side.
A 1 lb., 1 oz. can of vacuum-packed sweet potatoes may be used to speed up preparation.