- A savoury cheese soup with flair.
- S. Chokel
- 5 or more slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of flour
- 4 cups (950 ml) of chicken stock
- 3 cups (700 ml) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry sherry
- 5 oz (140 grm). pimento-stuffed olives, chopped
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- parsley, chopped
- sour cream, garnish
- In a dutch oven kind of pan, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Drain the bacon and reserve.
- Saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in bacon drippings until tender (Do not brown them).
- Blend in the flour and slowly add the stock.
- Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and starts to simmery boil; cook about five minutes.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in warm milk, sherry and olives.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season as you want with salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon on top of each serving.
- A dollop of sour cream spiked with a red chile hot sauce or prepared horseradish topped off with the crumbled bacon adds a special delight to this soup. Leaving it with a simple dollop of sour cream with the crumbled bacon is good too.
Note 1: You can omit the olives and it is fine. I think the original recipe left it optional.
Note 2: Use the finest quality cheddar cheese for this.
This cheese soup is especially nice served with a loaf of sourdough bread and some tart green apples.