- A very simple, quick, and tasty side dish.
- S. Chokel
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 5 cups (1175 ml) shredded cabbage
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of cream OR evaporated milk
- Put the butter in a skillet and let it start to brown slightly.
- Add the cabbage and stir well; cover the skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and cream (or evaporated milk).
- Cover and simmer 4 more minutes.
- It is very important not to overcook the cabbage.
- Note: You can add a touch of nutmeg for a savoury flair. You can also use the salt and pepper to taste. Also, I have used very successfully the substitution of bacon fat for the butter.
I have no idea if this really is indigenous to Tennessee or not, but the person who originally gave it to me is from the city of Pulaski, Tennessee.