- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomatoes
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). Polish sausage (sliced and browned)
- 1 cup (225 ml) ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) parsley, chopped (can use freeze dried)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Tabasco
- 3 tsp (15 ml) thyme
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Worcestershire
- 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked rice (not Minute-type)
- Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery and scallions in small amount of oil.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and cook for 1 hour.
- The add the Polish sausage, ham and parsley and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir in the Tabasco, thyme and Worcestershire and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Finally, add 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked rice and cook for an additional 30-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- My husband loves for me to make this ahead and send it on camping trips with him--it's very good reheated. It always goes over well wherever/whenever it is served.