Grape Pie with Crumb Topping
Serves/Makes:Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). Concord grapes (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- unbaked 9 inch pie shell
- Oat Streusel:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar (packed)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or regular margarine
- Wash and pick over grapes.
- Slip skins from grapes by pinching end opposite stem end.
- Reserve skins.
- Place pulp in two-quart saucepan.
- Cook over high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer five minutes, or until pulp is soft.
- Put hot pulp through strainer or food mill to remove seeds.
- Combine strained pulp, reserved skins, sugar, flour, lemon juice and salt in bowl.
- Mix well.
- Pour grape mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Prepare oat streusel and sprinkle over grape mixture.
- Oat Streusel: Combine oats, brown sugar and flour in bowl.
- Cut in butter or regular margarine until crumbly, using a pastry blender.
- Bake in 425 degree (225 C.) oven thirty-five minutes or until filling is bubbly.
- Cover loosely with foil after twenty minutes if top becomes too brown. Cool on rack.
- I don't know if this is the same recipe, my family came by it when we had a grape arbor and not enough jelly jars.