- Fill only with precooked or no-cook fillings.
Serves/Makes:One 9-inch pie crust
- 8 large (2 1/2x5-in.) reduce-fat plain or chocolate graham crackers
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). plus 1 tsp (5 ml). tub-style nonfat margarine, or 2 tbsp (30 ml). reduced-fat margarine (Do not melt)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). fat-free egg substitute
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). honey crunch wheat germ
- Break the crackers into pieces, and place in the bowl of a food precessor.
- Process into fine crumbs.
- Measure the crumbs; there should be 1 cup (225 ml) (Adjust the amount if necessary).
- Return the crumbs to the food processor, add the sugar and process for a few seconds to mix well.
- Add the margarine and egg substitute and process for about 20 seconds, or until the mixture is moist (but not wet) and crumbly, and holds together when pinched (If the mixture seems too dry, mix in more margarine, 1/2 tsp (2 ml). at a time, until the proper consistency is reached).
- Add the wheat germ and process for a few seconds to mix well.
- Coat a 9-in. pie pan with nonstick cooking spray and use the back of a spoon to press the mixture against the bottom and sides of the pan, forming an even crust(Periodically dip the spoon in sugar, if necessary, to prevent sticking).
- Use your fingers to finish pressing the crust firmly against the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 9 minutes, or until the edges feel firm and dry.
- Cool to room temperature before filling.
- Nutritional Facts (Per 1/8 Crust)
Calories: 79, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Fat: 1 g, Fiber: 0.4 g, Protein: 1.8 g, Sodium: 110 mg
You Save: Calories: 55, Fat: 6.7 g
From "Secrets of Fat-Free Desserts" by Sandra Wooddruff, RD