- May be used with either precooked fillings or fillings that require baking.
Serves/Makes:One 9-in. pie crust
- 1 cup (225 ml) barley nugget cereal
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey crunch wheat germ or finely chopped pecans or almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). fat-free egg substitute
- Place the cereal, wheat germ or nuts, and brown sugar in a small bowl, and stir to mix well.
- Stir in the egg substitute.
- Coat a 9-in. pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use the back of a spoon to pat the mixture against the bottom and sides of the pan, forming an even crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 12 minutes, or until the edges feel firm and dry.
- Cool the crust to room temperature and fill with a precooked filling, or fill and bake as directed in the recipe.
- Note: This crust should be prebaked even when making pies that require additional baking, such as pumpkin and sweet potato pies. When further baking is required, cut 3-in. wide strips of aluminum foil, and fold them over the edges of the pie pan to prevent overbrowning.
Nutritional Facts (Per 1/8 Crust)
Caloriies: 73, Carbohydrates: 15.6 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Fat: 0.3 g, Fiber: 1.5 g, Protein: 2.9 g, Sodium: 105 mg
You Save: 47 Calories, Fat: 7.7 g
From "Secrets of Fat-Free Desserts" by Sandra Woodruff, RD