Gail's Peanut Butter Fudge
Serves/Makes:1 8 inch square pan
- 2 granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) peanut butter
- Combine the sugar, milk, and syrup in a 3 quarts (2850 ml) heavy pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- After it comes to a boil, stop stirring and continue boiling until it reaches 234 degrees (100 C.) on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add the butter--do not stir.
- Let sit until the temperature drops approximately 110 degrees (45 C.).
- Add vanilla and peanut butter and beat just until it starts to lose its gloss (This is a short time so be careful).
- Pour into a buttered 8 inch x 8 inch pan.
- While still warm, mark out the squares on the candy.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Note: If you want to add chocolate chips to this,
add 1 cup of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips just before pouring into the buttered pan.
This came from my sister, Gail Lewis, in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
She got it out of an old Hershey cocoa recipe book that she has used so much it is about to fall apart.