- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:1 angle tube pan
- 1 to 2 pounds of large gumdrops (no spicy ones and leave out licorice flavored ones)
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound golden raisins
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda dissolved in 1 tsp (5 ml) hot water
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) cinnamon
- Grease angel cake pan.
- Place gumdrops, nuts and raisins in a large bowl and sift 2 cups (475 ml) of flour over them; toss.
- In a separate container, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, 2 cups (475 ml) of flour, spices and baking soda mixture to butter/sugar mixture.
- Add applesauce to mixture and stir.
- Add gumdrop mixture to creamed mixture and stir well.
- Bake at 250 degrees (125 C.) to 275 degrees (125 C.) for 2 hours.
- It's okay to taste it warm, but the cake is best served chilled. My grandmother, Ella, always made this cake at Christmas time (she passed away at the age of 86 in 1973). This recipe is well over 100 years old and has always been treasured by our family. Hope you enjoy it as well.