Dog Treats - Canine Bones
- 1 lb (.5 kg). beef liver
- 1 cup (225 ml) cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, washed
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) wheat germ
- 3 cups (700 ml) whole wheat flour
- Rinse liver and cut into chunks.
- Simmer liver with 1 cup (225 ml) of water until it is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
- Drain liquid into a measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup (225 ml).
- Put liver in a blender, drop in the eggs (including shells) and puree, adding the reserved liquid.
- Pour into a bowl and add remaining ingredients, stirring in flour last.
- Stir until evenly moistened the scrape onto a floured surface.
- Knead until no longer sticky adding flour as needed.
- Roll to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a knife or bone-shaped cookie cutter.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 500 degrees (250 C.) for 1 hour.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Cooled bones should be hard; if not return to oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Note: Bones that are not completely dry may develop a harmless mold at room temperature.