- recipe handed down two generations
- Deborah Mitchell
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1/2 stick margarine
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). cocoa
- 3 egg yolks (save egg whites for meringue)
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla flavoring
- 1 cooked pie shell
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) sugar
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla.
- Stir continously over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla; stir.
- Place in cooked pie shell.
- Add meringue being sure to spread to touch edge of pie shell.
- Place in oven at 400 degrees (200 C.) until top is desired browness.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until desired stiffness.
- Add sugar; mix until blended.
- I learned to make this pie from my mother, who learned
to make it from her mother.I get many requests for this
at social functions.