- Chuck's Collection
- 2 cups (475 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). sugar
- 1 pkg. (2-1/4 tsp (10 ml).) dry yeast
- 2 cups (475 ml) warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- Mix dry ingredients, gradually stir in warm water until well mixed.
- Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and allow to stand at room temperature for 3 days, stirring at least once a day.
- After 3 days the starter should be bubbly, with a clean sour, somewhat alcholic aroma.
- "Herman" is now ready to use or store in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.
- The starter may be frozen for longer storage.
- After using some of the starter, replenish it as follows.
- Into the remaining starter, mix in 1 cup (225 ml) unbleached flour, 1 cup (225 ml) milk and 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar.
- If planning to use again in a few days, allow to stand at room temprature for at least 1 day.
- After replenishing the starter it will be very active, be sure to store it in a large container.
- During refrigerator storage, stir down every day.
- Hope you enjoy Sourdough baking as much as I do.
If you use "SEARCH" , you can find many recipes on the internet and at this site.
NOTE: Do NOT use metal containers or spoons.