Grilled and Barbecued Armadillo
- Complete Fish and Game Cookbook by A. D. Livingston
- armadillo meat
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated ibuib
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) catsup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) prepared mustard
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and saute the onions.
- Add the catsup and mustard.
- Simmer for a few minutes, then let cool.
- Salt and pepper meat and baste generously with sauce while grilling.
- Cooking time is about the same as for fresh pork.
- As a succulent version, cut the animal into serving size pieces
and put them on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Salt and pepper to taste, add a little butter, close foil tightly, and cook over medium coals for an hour.
Open the foil and brown the pieces close to hot coals, basting frequently with the barbecue sauce.
This method can also be used in the oven, and the meat browned under the broiler.
You can also substitute your favorite barbecue sauce for this sauce recipe.