- Fish and Game Cooking by Joan Cone
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 armadillo, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or cooking oil
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped celery
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a brown paper bag and shake armadillo pieces in bag until well coated.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven; add armadillo and brown on both sides.
- Add water, just to cover, and remaining ingredients.
- Cover pot and simmer over low heat until meat is tender, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Thicken liquid with a flour and water paste and adjust seasoning.