Helen Corbitt's Orange Souffle
- Cold Orange Souffle from The Best from Helen Corbitt's Kitchens
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). unflavored gelatin plus
- 1 tsp (5 ml). unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) orange juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar (divided use)
- 1 tsp (5 ml). grated orange peel
- 1 cup (225 ml) whipping cream
- 1 cup (225 ml) canned apricot halves
- Soften gelatin in cold water and set aside.
- Mix egg yolks, orange juice, salt, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar.
- Cook in a double boiler until thickened.
- Stir in gelatin and orange peel, and cool.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in rest of sugar into egg whites, and beat until stiff.
- Whip the cream.
- Fold egg whites into custard as it begins to congeal, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into custard cups and refrigerate.
- Unmold and serve with sauce of apricots pureed in the blender and sweetened to taste.
- Or pour into a 1-1/2 quarts (1425 ml) souffle dish or mold.
- This is a delicious souffle to serve cold with any fruit and flavored whipped cream, if you wish.