- 2/3 cup (150 ml) vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) egg whites
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). grated fresh or finley chopped dried lemon rind
- 1 tsp (5 ml). lemon flavoring
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) crispy rice cereal
- Place oil and brown sugar in a bowl and mix at medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg whites, lemon juice, rind and flavoring, and mix at medium speed to blend well.
- Stir flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and baking soda together to blend well.
- Add to creamy mixture while beating at medium speed.
- Stir in cereal.
- Drop by the level tbspful onto cookie sheets left ungreased or lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove them to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. (36 cookies)
- Food Exchanges per serving: 2/3 starch/bread exchange + 1 fat exchange
Calories: 87, CHO: 11g, PRO: 1g, Fat: 4g, Na: 66mg, Cholesterol: 0
From Desserts for Diabetics by Mable Cavaiani, R. D.