- Great Munchies
- Prickly Pear
- 4 cups (950 ml) walnuts
- 1/2 c sugar
- water, boiling
- oil for deep frying, heated to 350 degrees
- Place walnuts in boiling water, bring to a boil once again and continue boiling for one minute.
- Transfer walnuts to a colander and rinse with hot water and drain well.
- Put boiled/drained walnuts in large bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar.
- Stir for about five minutes or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to about 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Add walnuts and fry for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove and drain on brown paper (paper towels will stick) that has been placed over several layers of newspaper.
- LIGHTLY sprinkle walnuts with salt and let cool.
- Keep in a covered (air tight) container.
- These keep well but won't be around long enough for you to find out! I make these at Christmas and give them as gifts--this past year I made 24 cups! I had barely enough to go around! People feel slighted if they don't receive any.