Albanian Walnut Cake with Lemon Glaze
- Deliciously different cake for late winter Sunday Mornings!
- S. Chokel
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (475 ml) unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup (225 ml) walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). ground allspice
- dash of ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then mix in the eggs.
- Blend the yogurt with the buttermilk.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add them alternately with the yogurt mixture into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the lemon rind and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 9 inch x 13 inch baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- The cake should still be moist.
- Simmer together all the ingredients, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, turn the oven off, pour the glaze over the hot cake.
- Return the cake with glaze to the oven for about 10 minutes.
- From "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant" by Molly Katzen (ISBN 0-671-67989-9)